Another Reason To Make Sure You Have An Emergency Car Kit
Recently here in Northern Virginia a huge traffic back up 60 miles long on I95 in Northern Virginia outside Washington DC was caused by a fast moving snow storm and government incompetence left thousands of travelers stranded in their cars for more than 24 hours with temperatures in the teens to lower 20’s. Having a good emergency kit in your car or having a B.O.B. (bug out bag) with some supplies in a good idea to have on hand and could possibly save your life.
- Blankets / Sleeping Bag
- Rain Jacket / Jacket / Sweatshirt / Wool Sox / Gloves
- Flashlight / Batteries
- Energy Bars / Nuts / Peanut Butter / Crackers / MRE’s / Baby Formula / Storable Food (Mountain House Is Our Go To Choice)
- Water / Water Filter (Sawyer Mini or Lifestraw)
- Prescription Medications
- Phone Charger
- First Aid Kit
- Baby Wipes / Feminine Supplies
- Tri-Fold Shovel
- Knife / Leatherman multi tool / Can Opener
- Tool Kit (Socket Set, Screw Driver)
- Jumper Cables / Jump Power Box
- Zip Ties
- Duct Tape
- Fire Starter / Lighter / Waterproof Matches
- Contractor Trash Bags (great for carrying items to keep dry)
- Fire Extinguisher
Keep your vehicle gas tank topped off at all times if possible especially when bad weather is predicted and especially when traveling in unfamiliar areas.
Its also important that you take into consideration how many people will be with you including children, elderly and even pets. You will want to add to your supply based on this. Also if you take daily prescription medications that might be something to consider having extra on hand as well.